The Wonderful Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Head of Product Design
at The Wonderful Company
We are currently looking for dynamic, creative leaders to develop and support our next-generation product concepts. These products will manifest in multiple delivery platforms that will be used on a variety of crops around the world.
The Head of Product Design will use his or her skills and insights to meet customer needs with creative designs and compelling product solutions. The role will require extensive travel to learn from customers and channel partners in each market.
This role will also develop performance tests and manage suppliers, many of whom co-develop products with Suterra. This role will support the design of production equipment and will lead new product launches with supplier qualification and production line trials.
This role will work closely with Sales, Field Service, Engineering, and Sourcing to lead cross-functional project teams that identify market opportunities and develop breakthrough products. This role provides a unique opportunity to take an idea all the way from an idea to a high-volume, one-of-a-kind commercial product in markets on six continents.
- Understanding the customer experience through direct interaction with end users and service providers.
- Developing a comprehensive understanding of customer needs and the options and competitive offerings available to meet those needs.
- Deriving actionable insights from interaction with customers and other market participants.
- Translating customer needs and goals into functional requirements for new products.
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to develop product concepts that provide compelling solutions and viable commercial propositions.
- Working with Sales and Marketing to develop alternatives for product positioning and complementary services.
- Understanding the functional requirements for new products and the business requirements for each new product or service offering.
- Developing methods for the assessment of product function and the achievement of customer satisfaction.
- Developing field criteria for evaluating assembled product performance under customer use.
- Designing products to meet functional requirements including the product form, materials of construction, mode of formulation delivery and packaging and labeling for distribution and sale.
- Translating functional specifications into detailed component and material specifications for engineering and chemistry teams.
- Developing test criteria for evaluating the quality of products at the end of the manufacturing process.
Supplier Evaluation & Qualification:
- Identifying candidate suppliers for materials and components.
- Assessing supplier technical capabilities for sourcing decisions.
- Supporting the qualification of new suppliers with on-site visits and quality control assessments.
New Product Launch:
- Devising trials for demonstration of production process capability pertaining to new products.
- Analyzing trial data to identify issues and to propose improvements.
- Defining material specifications, SOPs, and process parameters that are compatible with our goals for safety, quality, delivery and cost in mass production.
- Partnering with Marketing, Sales and Field Service to develop and deliver training for commercial teams and new customers.
- Soliciting and analyzing feedback from internal and external stakeholders to drive product improvements.
- Determining the root cause of quality issues and working cross-functionally to propose and implement solutions that uphold product performance.
- Generating and assessing proposals for product improvements including changes in design, usage and packaging to address customer concerns and to enhance product competitiveness.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Seven+ years' of experience in an engineering role involving product development or manufacturing.
- Proficiency with Computer-Aided Design and Finite Element Analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems while mitigating risks to resources and deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for teamwork at multiple levels and across multiple functions of the organization.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel 40% of time.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental, and 401k with match eligibility.
- Subsidized gym membership.
- Wonderful Giving (www.wonderfulgiving.com) -- allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice.
Suterra is the world's leading provider of biorational products for crop protection and commercial pest control. The company is dedicated to the research, development and commercialization of environmentally-friendly products using naturally occurring compounds such as pheromones.
Suterra is growing rapidly and investing aggressively in support of new product development. Suterra's parent company, The Wonderful Company, has invested over $80 million in a modern, state-of-the art facility in Bend, Oregon to synthesize active ingredients and manufacture proprietary dispensing technologies.