The Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Dental Assistant II (EFDA)
at The Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center
The Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality, culturally appropriate healthcare to low-income residents of Washington and Yamhill Counties with a special emphasis on seasonal and migrant farm-workers and to others with barriers to receiving health-care.
Job Summary: The Dental Assistant II / EFDA is to assist the dentist or dental hygienist. Expose and process X-rays. Perform Sealants. Manage the dental operatories. Perform patient intake. Travel and fill in at other VG Dental sites as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the dentist or dental hygienist in transfer of instruments utilizing approved dental assisting principles. Assist the operator in preparation and delivery of dental materials. Perform expanded function duties as necessary
- Layout necessary instruments for procedure
- Expose and process x-rays and duplicate when necessary. Ensure all x-rays are suitable for diagnosis
- Able to perform sealant on patient treatment plan
- Provide supportive care for patients at all times
- Keep the operatory neat and clean during procedures and disinfect thoroughly before each patient arrives. Keep hand pieces properly maintained. Ensure that vacuum lines, unit, chair, light, instruments, and tray setups are thoroughly disinfected and properly sterilized at all times
- Order and maintain inventory of dental supplies. Provide administration with required and accurate purchase data.
- Restock rooms as necessary
- Provide evaluation of emergency patients.
- Provide patient management for the dental department.
- Work with the Dental Clinic Operational Manager on infection control and OSHA guidelines.
- Take vital signs and review patient health history, updating as necessary
- Ability to be flexible and be able to work on weekends on special projects
- Willing to support own team members to accomplish daily activities
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a professional team
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Handle protected health information (PHI) in a manner consistent with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA)
The expanded function dental assistant will have access to PHI in the course of carrying out his/her duties. Applying the minimum necessary standard of HIPAA, the designated records sets to which this employee will have access include: the full dental chart, the full medical chart; all information in the practice management system, all other billing and account information.
Minimum Education and Experience Required
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of an accredited dental assisting program or one (1) year of dental assistant experience preferred
- Previous experience within a medical/dental clinic
- Must possess a valid certificate of Expanded Function Dental Assistant and a certificate of radiology proficiency issued by the Oregon State Board of Dental Examiners
- Valid Oregon driver’s license, reliable transportation, safe driving record and insurance coverage required. Ability to travel to other VG Dental sites as needed
- Sealant certification
- Previous experience working with diverse populations
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred or willingness to learn Spanish.
- Role model VG’s mission, vision, and shared values
- Listen to the voice of the customer and strive to delight them by exceeding their expectations
- If someone needs help, help them
- Be innovative, apply fresh ideas, and continuously improve how you do your work
- Maintain strict confidentiality and respect the privacy of others
- Demonstrate integrity, honesty, and stewardship in all encounters at work
- Demonstrate consideration and appreciation for co-workers and patients
- Demonstrate the ability to convey thoughts and ideas as well as understand perspective of others
- Sitting – 5%
- Standing – 85%
- Walking – 50%
- Use of Computer – 5%
- Ability to Lift/Carry up to 30 lbs.
Staff member must meet immunizations requirements as stated in VGMHC’s immunization policy.