The Portland Clinic
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Assistant - Family Practice
at The Portland Clinic
17.41 - 23.51
Northeast - Portland, Oregon
# of openings:
THE PORTLAND CLINIC
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Nursing Supervisor
HOURS PER WEEK: 8am-5pm M-F /Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Nursing Services
HIRING BONUSES FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT POSITIONS:
• $500 bonus to be paid upon successful hire & start of a Medical Assistant position.
• $500 bonus to be paid upon successful completion of 1 year of employment.
The following information is designed to outline the essential functions and position requirements of this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To assist the physician in the treatment and management of the patient. To provide comfort and support for the well-being of the patient. To work as a team member with RNs, LPNs, and other ancillary staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
1. Prepare patients for exam or treatment by proper set up of the exam/treatment room and rooming the patient utilizing The Portland Clinic’s (TPC) rooming protocol, including accurate measurement of vital signs and complete documentation in the electronic health record (EHR). *
2. Prioritize and communicate patient concerns and make appropriate decisions regarding communicating and coordinating with clinicians for follow up. Make complex cognitive decisions in relationship to the department. *
3. Assist the provider as needed with diagnostic and/or surgical procedures and exams specific to the department. This may include but is not limited to the following: assisting and set up with in-office procedures, gynecological exams, performing EKGs, PFT/spirometry, minor wound care and dressing, suture or staple removal, nebulizer treatments and administering vaccinations.*
4. Clean exam and procedure rooms throughout the day as required by OSHA and as needed. *
5. Manage a desk in both an individual and group setting by scheduling patients, computer data entry, In Basket management including but not limited to the following: patient call back messages, MyChart messages, prescription requests, results, referral messages/work queue, staff messages, processing prior authorizations and other items outlined by the department. Also, the management of incoming and outgoing phone calls, proper documentation within the EHR, following TPC and HIPAA guidelines, and monitoring provider and clinical support schedules (and other schedules as needed by the branch/department). *
6. Clean and prepare instruments for autoclaving following OSHA and TPC guidelines/policies for the prevention of the spread of blood borne pathogens, properly using safety and personal protective equipment.*
7. Clean and organize shared work areas including exam rooms, nursing station, utility rooms and supply areas, maintaining accurate documentation in log books/checklists as required. *
8. Participate as an active care team member in a patient-centered medical home.
9. Assist and train others as needed. Work under the general supervision of a licensed healthcare provider (MD, NP, PA, RN, or LPN at direction of a RN). Attend nursing meetings and in-services. Participate in clinic committees as requested by supervisors or management.
10. Assist/float to other departments as requested by supervisor or management.*
11. Maintain regular work attendance and punctuality.*
12. Comply with HIPAA and OSHA guidelines at all times to ensure patient and staff safety.
13. Employees will not be discourteous or disrespectful to a customer or any member of the public while in the course and scope of company business.*
14. Work in a cooperative manner with management/supervisor, coworkers, customers, and vendors.*
15. Abide by company policies.*
16. Other duties as assigned.*
Stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, watch with second hand, computer, phone,
printer, fax and department specific equipment.
Current Medical Assistant Certification, or have fulfilled requirements of MA certification within 30 days of employment. If so, must provide proof of receipt of MA certification within 60 days of employment
High School Diploma or equivalent
Current CPR Certification
• Basic understanding of Medical Terminology
• Basic understanding of infection control
• Basic understanding and proficiency of documentation in the EHR
• Values team success
• Compassionate, patient and tactful
• Shows an interest in taking action to increase his/her knowledge and development as an employee
• Contributes to an environment where people feel valued
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients and staff
• Proficiency in basic computer skills
• Organizational skills and ability to prioritize work flow
• Oral communication skills and excellent phone etiquette with an ability to convey and receive information via telephone
• Competency in language, grammar, and spelling
• Ability to interact and establish a good rapport with people over the telephone and in person, often in stressful situations
• Capability of effectively working on more than one task without a reduction in the quality of work and service performed
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations and to work under pressure
• Ability to accept responsibility and use initiative to proceed with necessary tasks without direct supervision