South Coast Education Service
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mentor of Licensed Professional -SLP
at South Coast Education Service
Openings as of 1/22/2020
- Mentor of Licensed Professional -SLP JobID: 295
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
South Coast Education Service District Job CHARACTERISTICS:
- Develop a collegial/professional relationship with the mentee.
- Orient the new professional to the ESD and building procedures.
- Provide support to the professional in obtaining information about the designated school(s).
- Attend new staff orientation at the start of the school year.
- Gather necessary resources to assist the professional with planning efforts.
- Provide professional contacts as needed for the professional to meet their current needs.
- Support the professional in understanding the responsibilities and expectations in their job description and their school(s) district.
- Support the professional in understanding and utilizing the SCESDs professional norms, evaluation tools, district policies and Oregon’s laws and administrative rules as it pertains to their position.
- Establish a system of on-going communication with the professional.
- Maintain confidentiality in the professional relationship.
- Share resources for professional development opportunities.
- Develop long-term and short-term objectives to make mentorship together meaningful and productive.
- Offer guidance as the professional creates and implements their Professional Growth Goals and Student Learning Growth Goals.
- Keep a log of time spent in the mentor role. This information will be used to enhance the mentoring program. This log will be the personal property of the mentor and will not be used in the mentee’s evaluation process.
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to the mentor/mentee contract terms.
- Meet on a regular schedule with the mentee to discuss progress, strengths and challenges and to give guidance. The mentor/mentee will meet at least one hour per month in a face to face format (via technology or in person).
- Using provided feedback tools, reflect on the year together and offer suggestions to improve the performance and mentoring relationship.
- Provide suggestions as to ways to improve the SCESD mentoring program.
- The mentor must hold a current license and have completed a full educational training program for their field.
- A mentor will have at least three years of experience or can demonstrate the skills of a proficient professional in their field.
- A mentor must complete the organization’s training program.
- The mentor must apply and be selected for the position through the human resource department using the organization’s hiring process.
- The mentor must agree to complete the expectations stated in the Mentor Responsibilities section of the handbook.
- Mentors can be both internal and external professionals.
- Mentors can meet with mentees during the work day but must accomplish their regular duties and responsibilities on time.
- Recognize that not all mentor/mentee relationships will work for a wide variety of reasons. Consult with Human Resources when challenges arise and intervention is needed.
- The mentor will be compensated as defined in the collective bargaining agreement.
- The mentor will participate in SCESD’s mentor training day and new staff orientation day.
- The mentor will have no more than two assigned mentees if internal, five assigned mentees if external.
- The mentor will conduct monthly meetings with the mentee for approximately 30-40 hours throughout the year with at least one hour per month in a face-to-face format (via technology or in person). Hours beyond 40 are at the discretion of the mentor and not be reimbursed unless it becomes clear that the mentee will need a great deal more support and special arrangements have been made with the Human Resource department to increase hours.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or disabilities.
Union: South Coast ESD Education Association
Rate: $1,000 Stipend
Location: Coos and Curry Counties
A fingerprint-based criminal history investigation will be required.
South Coast ESD is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal and state statutes which prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, handicap or marital status.
The mentor agrees to maintain confidentiality and understands that they mentor will not engage in conversations with the mentees direct supervisor regarding areas of progress, concern or progress in the profession.
To provide information, support and encouragement to new professionals as they embark on their career at South Coast ESD.