Pacific Seafood Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
General Manager - Shellfish
at Pacific Seafood Group
Pacific Seafood needs leaders like you. Join Pacific Seafood as our Shellfish General Manager supporting our farm, hatchery, and oyster processing operations located in, Washington, Oregon, California, and Hawaii. As a market leader in sustainable aquaculture methods for West Coast wild caught seafood, you will have an opportunity to directly guide strategic initiatives and manage shellfish operations focused on resource management, process improvement, and efficiency optimization efforts. We are looking for accomplished seafood business leaders with a strategic mindset who can effectively communicate and execute the vision, develop and grow a team, and sustainably and consistently grow and improve the business year after year.
We were founded in 1941 by the Dulcich family. To this day, Pacific Seafood remains a family-owned and operated company dedicated to providing the healthiest protein on the planet. Our vertically integrated business model allows us to manage all parts of the supply chain from harvesting and fishing, to processing, shipping, and distribution, in order to provide customers with fresh, sustainable, high-quality products. Pacific Seafood offers the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives and work with our sustainable resources to provide healthy products to consumers worldwide.
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Seafood Group’s Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Excellence and Teamwork) and promote teamwork at all times.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Pacific Seafood strategic plan, business model and the multiple vertically integrated business units; collaborate and align with cross-functional teams to plan and implement the business strategies.
- Support operating companies in the development and control of profits, plans, and budgeting; review and analyze activities, costs, operations, and forecasted data to determine division progress toward stated goals and objectives; develop and lead a long-term strategy to centralize the division’s financial and budgetary programs.
- Meet or exceed business unit KPIs and execute growth plans to achieve net income objectives through effective leadership of others.
- Assess infrastructure demands on new product development; collaborate with Research and Development to new develop commercial products. Manage division leadership on yield and process improvements
- Must maintain a detailed of all live/non live inventory levels of volumes and balance sheet values for the following divisional segments: hatchery and nursery production and survival, oyster and clam farm plot coverage and survival, and year cycle of classes to address challenges related to environment, internal operations, procedures, regulatory challenges and compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Develop consistent KPI volume through put in production facilities, with a focus on leveraging labor and targeted training and development with general managers.
- To be a forward/long term thinker in order to facilitate solutions on issues such as; hatchery survival, farm operations changes in each estuary along the west coast. Improve handling, quality and yield in production and customer satisfaction.
- Coordination with the sales and Company category leadership sheep for proper raw product forms. Improve customer experience and long term customer relationships for the divisional products.
- Responsibilities include the development of an understanding of the critical need for the successful operation of the Company hatcheries/nurseries for the continued sustainability and vertical integration of the Shellfish resources. Develop and manage Value Added lines (breading, salts, and sauces) that meet sales forecasts in alignment with production capacities.
- Develop talent to support a culture of continuous operational improvement with respect to productivity and through-put, labor, order fulfillment, best practices for food quality, worker safety, inventory levels and management of operating expenses.
- Develop industry network and relationships.
- Manage changes in regulation with the regulatory manager.
- Implement employment policies and guidelines in alignment with company to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal employment regulations.
Perform other duties, as needed.
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Foster an environment that encourages others to seek out opinions, feedback and new ideas.
- Demonstrate humility and respect when interacting with all levels within the organization.
- Build and foster a culture of shared ownership; drive performance and accept accountability and responsibility for their organization’s performance.
- Maintain constant communication with the Environmental Attorneys used by the Shellfish Division to direct and seek advice as to issues such as; renewing or obtaining new permits, expansion of existing operations, discharge activities of our operations, other Industry impacts to our tidelands, predation controls, regulatory restrictions, and constant and ever changing requirements of the Department of Ecology, DNR, Army Corps, California Coastal Commission, Department of Health, FDA, National Marine Fisheries, and various County requirements, just to name a few. In addition, staying aware of the challenges and public relations issues with the various environmental groups that can have impact on our farming activities, growth opportunities and current and future practices.
- Set clear performance goals and expectations; manage and hold Team Members accountable to those goals.
- Provide continuous, direct and candid feedback to team members.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Build a multi-year road map identifying key division initiatives to optimize and drive efficiencies in the current environment, in an atmosphere of cost consciousness, while allowing for substantial growth, change and innovation in the future.
- Possess the strategic business perspective to anticipate (and take advantage of) key marketplace trends, opportunities and vulnerabilities, and represent them to senior management with the appropriate communication skills for persuasion and influence.
- Make decisions considering the implications to the entire business.
- Possess excellent critical thinking, creative problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Identify and explore new solutions and opportunities to push the business forward.
- Possess the discipline to monitor progress consistently and stick to previously agreed upon priorities when prudent, or adjust the plans when appropriate.
- Strong business acumen with a forward thinking, results-oriented mindset linking strategy to solutions.
- Demonstrates success working in a highly collaborative, cross functional environment, with a track record of accomplishments with measurable business results.
- Ability to lead process improvement efforts and motivate and develop team members to their highest potential.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Ten years’ experience of progressive management experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment, preferably in the food processing industry.
- Excellent working knowledge of finance and accounting. Ability to read/interpret and explain the P&L.
- Strong knowledge of food handling procedures, HACCP, GMP, SSOP, and food safety regulations.
- Demonstrating ability in workforce demand planning, managing cost performance, and production forecasting.
- Strong Computer skills in MS Office Suite, primarily Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to travel 50% of the time or more, as required.
- Prior seafood production, or purchasing management experience.
- Extensive experience in Shellfish operations management with specific expertise in Oysters, Clams and Mussels.
At Pacific Seafood, your base wage is only a portion of your overall compensation package. When you add in the additional benefits below to your competitive base wage you can increase your total compensation by up to 25%.
- Health insurance benefits options, including medical, prescription, vision, dental, basic group life and short term disability.
- Flexible spending accounts for health flex and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) Retirement Plan options with generous annual company profit sharing match
- Paid time off for all regular FT team members, to include paid sick, vacation and personal time
- Employee Assistance Program- Confidential professional counseling, financial, and legal assistance provided at no charge to Team Members and immediate family members
- Product purchase program
Pacific Seafood is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.