Oregon Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Orthopedic Technician/Surgeon Assistant
at Oregon Medical Group
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Responsibly managing the casting process and the supplies/ordering for the cast room. This position will also assist the Surgeon during operative procedures. The Orthopedic Technician serves the patient, the physician, the X-Ray Technician and other staff members.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Varied activities including sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting. Requires full range of body motion including manual finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 100+ pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Occasional stress related to multiple responsibilities and to working irregular hours.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Combination of office and hospital settings. Occasional exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic/hospital environment. Some evening, early morning, and weekend work may be required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Provide quality orthopedic care in the casting room for patients requiring immobilization including: applying, removing and assessing need for change of all types of orthopedic immobilization devices; collaborating with orthopedic surgeons/staff in reviewing patient x-rays and in developing procedures for setting up aseptic fields, etc.
2. Coordinate, clean and maintain all activities in the cast room/bays. Assure bays are stocked and cleaned appropriately on a daily basis.
3. Educate patients/families regarding application/wearing of orthopedic devices and serve as a resource for patients via telephone.
4. Assist in the management of ordering and stocking supplies for the Ortho department, including supplies for exam rooms, Medical Assistants, providers and the X-Ray Tech. Serve as the main contact for the supply, ordering, tracking and distribution of DME products in the Ortho department.
5. Serve as a trainer/mentor to Medical Assistants, as necessary, on basic casting and bracing skills.
6. Coordinate the rooming and management of cast bay patients for providers; including taking vital signs, entering information into the patient’s EMR and coordinating follow-up appointments.
7. Work with on-call providers to provide casting/bracing feedback and support to OMG primary care and NOW clinic providers.
8. After appropriate training and sign-offs, assist in positioning, prepping and draping the surgical field as needed under the direct supervision of surgeons. Participate in maintaining sterile field and technique during the surgical procedure while holding retractors in position set by the Surgeon. Assist surgeon in wound closure under supervision. Apply dressings or splints in the sterile environment of the operating room. Anticipate the needs of the Surgeon during routine surgical procedures.
9. After appropriate training and sign-offs, provide limited call coverage for Physician Assistants as requested. If called to the operating room, the Orthopedic Technician will be required to serve as a surgeon’s assistant in operative procedure.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.