Oregon Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Histology Technician (part-time 25 hours)
at Oregon Medical Group
PURPOSE OF POSITION: By preparing tissue specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by pathologists; this position serves the patient, the physician and other staff members.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Frequent walking, sitting, bending, and standing required for extended periods of time. Lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds. Requires visual acuity and normal color perception; close vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus are necessary for grossing and cutting with the microtone; color vision is important in grossing and QC’ing stains. Corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires exposure to communicable diseases and fluids common to a clinic environment.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This may not include all of the duties assigned).
- Prepare tissue specimens for processing by performing a gross dictation using established protocols and procedures.
- Embed processed tissue into paraffin.
- Section tissue specimens, using microtome knife, following established standards and procedures, in preparation for slide staining.
- Stain and coverslip specimen slides, following established standards and procedures.
- Perform H&E stain and some basic special staining procedures.
- Filing of paraffin blocks and slides.
- Responsible for being familiar with and working to be in compliance with all regulatory standards and requirements that applies to his/her work area. As part of the institution’s ongoing quality improvement effort, the employee should pursue opportunities to resolve identified problems and improve patient care.
- Responsible for being familiar with safety policies and procedures in relation to their work areas and will comply with these policies.
- Perform routine preventative instrument maintenance according to manufacture guidelines.
- Prepare reagents for department use.
- Stay abreast of departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain work area including appropriate record keeping, ordering and stocking supplies, and adhering to safety rules and regulations.
- Follows established laboratory policies and procedures.
- Use available resources to troubleshoot.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Ongoing Customer Service Training.
- Maintain strictest patient confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.