Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
VP of Innovation and Improvement
# of Openings:
OCHIN is currently looking for a talented VP of Innovation to join our team!
Who is OCHIN?
OCHIN is one of the nation’s largest and most successful Health Information Networks. Here, our goal is simple: to provide solutions that promote access to quality, affordable health care for all. Our Health IT solutions improve the integration and delivery of health care services across a wide variety of practices—with an emphasis on safety net clinics and small practices as well as critical access and rural hospitals.
Our corporate office is located in beautiful downtown Portland, Oregon. Working with us, you’ll find challenging projects, a collaborative team, and some of the best employee perks around, including public transportation reimbursement, an onsite gym, community volunteering activities, a generous PTO package, and a Dragon Boat Racing team! Recognized as one of the Top 100 Nonprofits to work for in Oregon. OCHIN is committed to creating a positive and enjoyable workplace for all its employees.
OCHIN’s Vice President (VP) of Innovation serves as a key member of the leadership team, leading the strategy for innovation and improvement across OCHIN and our membership. In partnership with the CEO and the executive team, this position is responsible for actively engaging senior leadership, staff and members to establish successful working relationships, socialize ideas, and execute a variety of programs and projects. Strengthening the capacity for innovation and improvement across the organization will be a critical function of this role.
In addition, the VP of Innovation will solicit feedback externally and internally determine ways to gain support of strategic initiatives across stake holders and represent OCHIN in discussion with executives from competitors and adjacent markets to determine appropriate joint ventures, and/or partnership targets. The VP of Innovation will lead collaborative exploration to increase OCHIN’s ability to meet the needs of its customers and partners. This position will partner closely with executive leaders and departments to ensure a constancy and consistency of purpose throughout OCHIN’s offerings and activities. A natural people-leader, the VP of Innovation will serve as champion for the development of people and processes that create the conditions for innovation and improvement to thrive.
- Further develop and embed innovation and improvement in organizational culture.
- Working with executives, champion innovation and improvement projects across business lines to significantly impact organizational goals set by the OCHIN Board and CEO.
- Coach and mentor executives, management and staff to foster a culture of continuous improvement and innovation
- Identify and prioritize opportunities to bridge the gap between customer needs and OCHIN resources
- Design and lead teams to execute strategic and tactical innovation and improvement activities for internal and external customers of OCHIN
- Build a sustainable business model aimed at lowering health care costs and improving patient outcomes for a set of existing programs utilizing innovation and improvement methodologies
- Oversee daily operations, develop functional roles and assign responsibilities to employees working to execute on strategic goals.
- Provide leadership in building, identifying, analyzing and communicating measures of organizational success across business lines and with customers.
- Lead efforts to prepare OCHIN for national quality recognition efforts
- Embody the organization’s culture of service by demonstrating exceptional customer service for internal and external customers
- Cultivate the proper culture that is conducive to productivity, learning and development
- Cultivate a continuous base of knowledge through current global and cultural trends affecting the health care delivery system focused on care for underserved populations
- Seek, build, and leverage partnerships and relationships (internally and externally) in order to further organizational and team goals
- Help inform and/or develop organizational and team policies to drive for outcomes
- Identifying and mitigating issues by providing strategic insight and direction in order for the organization to successfully achieve its established goals
Outcomes for Success
- OCHIN delivers on strategic goals and our members clinical and financial outcomes are the best in the country
- Organizational strategies, goals, and metrics are tracked and communicated regularly throughout the organization
- Data and metrics associated with organizational goals are well defined and are clearly mapped to organizational strategies to drive down costs and improve outcomes
- Team turnover rate is consistent with or lower than organizational average
- Organizational vision and program objectives are regularly communicated to the team, increasing workforce engagement
- Development and growth of leaders within the organization is prioritized; capacity of individuals to perform in leadership roles is identified and cultivated
- Staff are tracking at 80 percent of time to projects
- 1:1 meeting with direct reports are held at least once a month
- Direct reports and teams have identified and regularly track progress against goals in accordance with organizational processes
- Positive and constructive feedback is provided in a timely manner; the organization’s corrective action guidelines are followed as needed
- The culture and values of the organization are consistently demonstrated
- Active participation is demonstrated as applicable within operational and strategic meetings; information is shared with relevant parties in a timely and effective manner
- 10+ years of experience with increasing levels of responsibility working in operations and/or improvement.
- Four (4) year degree in healthcare administration, business administration, public administration, IT, health informatics, or a related field
- Knowledge of innovation and improvement best practices and tools and has the skill to model and mentor these throughout internal and external environments
- Proven experience building and leading innovation programs
- Proven experience leading an organization through the process of winning a national quality award
- Ability to translate and communicate organizational vision to effectively lead a team
- Ability to develop and grow leaders within an organization
- Experience and relevant certifications of skills with quality and process improvement philosophies and methodologies, including but not limited to Lean Six Sigma or the Model for Improvement
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Excellent facilitation and change management skills
- Ability to coach senior-level staff to develop high-performance teams and implement program strategies
- Track record of effectively leading in a direct service organization with a complex array of programs
- Experience working within the nonprofit and/or healthcare sectors
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Knowledge of and experience with the healthcare delivery system and its unique constraints, challenges, and concerns
- This position can be based in our Portland, OR office or work remotely
Our company culture is important to us. Successful candidates will identify easily with a set of character attributes, as listed below:
- A Communicator: You possess strong communication skills and have been told you have great customer service skills; you like people and want to help.
- A Critical Thinker: You have a mind that regularly looks for ways to find efficiencies, innovate, and make improvements where you can.
- Process Oriented: You’re able to understand, work in, create, and improve processes.
- A Collaborator: You’re a team player and relationship builder whose “can-do” attitude inspires others.
- Someone Who Seeks to Learn: You are eager to listen, study, and learn new things quickly; you are resourceful and are open to regularly accepting and growing from feedback.
- Entrepreneurial: You have proven success working in a fast-paced and changing environment; you are excited to play in a space where you’re adding value to the organization and its mission.
Job descriptions are designed to outline primary duties, responsibilities, and qualification requirements, and should not limit additional duties and responsibilities assigned. It is our expectation that all employees offer their services wherever and whenever deemed necessary to ensure the success of the organization.
Constant interpersonal skills, teamwork, customer service, problem analysis, and reading, speaking, writing, and understanding English. Frequent creativity, mentoring, presentations, and teaching. Occasional decision making and independent judgment or action. Frequent keyboarding, sitting, standing, hearing, and talking.
OCHIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. OCHIN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal civil rights laws.
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, as well as a check against the Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) exclusion list.