Mount Hood Community College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Instructor - Theatre (part-time application)
at Mount Hood Community College
- Job Summary and Responsibilities/Duties
This pool has been established to accept applications for part-time theatre instructors that may arise throughout the academic year in the theatre program. We are currently seeking individuals that have demonstrated experience in teaching any or all of the following sequence coursework for our two-year program: acting, improvisation, voice/movement for the actor, stagecraft, stage lighting, sound for theatre, and/ or costuming. We also seek guest directors for our annual productions. The successful applicant will have teaching experience in a high school and/or college academic setting and a record of professional association with theatre educators and/or performers.
An Instructor is responsible for providing quality instruction that will contribute to the learning experiences necessary for each student to meet the objectives of the course and to be successful in both their education and career development experiences.
1. Instructs students in a classroom, lab, learning center or other setting as appropriate.
2. Provides student contact before or after class or through telephone or email exchanges or office hours where facilities and schedules permit according to Article 18.G.3.
3. Prepares, distributes and utilizes instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate; incorporates the latest classroom technology when available and appropriate into instructional activities.
4. Structures classes and curriculum to correspond with the overall program objectives; prepares clear objectives for students each course. Maintains and revises curriculum to maintain currency.
5. Understands, develops and provides a learning environment that supports diversity and incorporates sensitivity to diversity within the College community.
6. Responsible for classroom, laboratory and departmental equipment and provides for the security of facilities and instructional materials as appropriate.
7. Understands and abides by College policies and regulations and other policies, procedures and materials as required by the College, departments or divisions.
8. Convenes classes on time and as scheduled.
9. Maintains evaluation and grading records for assigned students; enters grades and provides all necessary documentation for incompletes within established College timelines.
10. Ensures and emphasizes safe working and classroom conditions and practices.
- Minimum and Desired Qualifications
- Master's degree (or higher) in Theatre OR a master's degree and 24 graduate credit hours in Theatre.
- Teaching experience in theatre coursework, preferably at the high school or community college level
- Demonstrated professional experience in theatre
- Excellent interpersonal skills in communicating with faculty, staff and students
- Additional Qualifications and/or Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Working Conditions and Important Information
Initial salary placement will be based on years of relevant full-time equivalent experience at the sole discretion of the College, per the guidelines in the applicable Handbook or Collective Bargaining Agreement. Please include all relevant full and part-time experience in your application that you want the College to review towards potential placement. Hired employees will not have an opportunity to update past experience or appeal initial placement after the time of hire.
MHCC only accepts applications through our online application system at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/mhcc/default.cfm. For technical assistance, please call 855-524-5627.
Please note: We do not request or read letters of recommendation. Also, it is not necessary to upload a large number of documents with your materials. We are looking for the required documents and perhaps one or two additional documents of your choosing (optional). Faculty applications require a current resume, cover letter and official transcripts (copies are fine for application purposes) and/or any required certificates or licenses.
Please note: this is initially a self-screening system. We recognize that our application process can be lengthy, so before you begin, please read all of the stated requirements to determine if you meet them. Applicants must meet all of the stated minimum qualifications and additional requirements to be considered for this position. Based on your responses to the qualifying questions, the system may automatically screen you out from further consideration.
Position subject to budget consideration and approval. For the candidate who is hired into this position, salary placement will be based on guidelines in the faculty association agreement to assess education and experience. For this reason, please be sure to include everything in your application that you want the college to consider towards placement. Any appeals to placement must be submitted in writing to the human resources recruitment specialist no later than one week after an offer is made.
Final candidates will be subject to a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
MHCC is NOT able to support Visa applications for employment at the college. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered.
MHCC provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230, and 408.235; OAR 105-040-0010 and 105-040-0015.
Qualifying veterans and disabled veterans may obtain preference by submitting as verification of eligibility a copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) or a letter from the US Dept. of Veteran's Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension to your application. Disabled Veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran's disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veteran Affairs, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.
If you are seeking this preference, appropriate documentation must be provided at the time of application. You may submit an electronic copy in the document upload area of the application in the section marked "veterans' preference document," or fax to 503-491-7257 or mail to Human Resources, Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham, OR 97030. If you do not have your documentation, you may request it through your Veterans' Administration Office.
Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and interview process. Please notify Human Resources at least three working days prior to the date of need.
Mt. Hood Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively supports workforce diversity.