Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Safety Engineer I
at Mortenson Construction
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- College Recruiting
Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Are you passionate about safety in construction? Are you looking for a position where you can influence behavior and drive positive change? Do you love working with people and inspiring them to do what is right?
As a Safety Engineer at Mortenson, you will interact with a variety of people to implement Mortenson’s Zero Injury program. You will work at a project site and ensure a safe work environment for team members, subcontractors, and visitors.
If you thrive in an ever-changing environment, are flexible, inventive, dedicated and efficient, you'll love working here!
What will you be doing?
In this role, organization, flexibility, extraordinary customer focus and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include, but are not limited to:
- Assist project management team in developing and executing site specific safety program and activities
- Attend, coordinate, and conduct safety orientation and training programs at the project level
- Document and track all safety violations, unsafe conditions, etc.
- Conduct work area safety audits
- Conduct project’s leading and trailing indicator data/document collection and trend analyses
- Conduct or assist with major incident analysis
- Record, monitor, and analyze Safety, Injury and Hazard statistics
- Coordinate OSHA reporting and posting requirements
- Review Safety Submittals and attend preconstruction and preparatory meetings with subcontractors
- Monitor and review trade partner work plans and activities for safety concerns
- Assist with onsite injury management and case management
- Monitor Return to Work and Modified duty assignments
- Assist with the organization and implementation of project safety celebrations and recognition/reward programs
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis
Provide resource of safety related information
- Evaluate and offer solutions for industrial hygiene concerns
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, and other applicable standards, regulations, laws, and procedures
- Serve as resource for safety issues or concerns for all project team members
- Attend and/or chair safety meetings
Other duties as assigned
- Collaborate with client safety personnel, union representatives, insurance risk engineers etc.
- Accompany safety, health, insurance and OSHA personnel on work-site tours
- Ensure maintenance and inspection of safety equipment and protective wear
- Maintain project site Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and assist the Project Manager with the management of the safety budget allocated for project
Safety Engineers will spend most their time in the field and may travel often between multiple sites. This position will be in the field as well as in a trailer office. It is likely and expected for Mortenson team members to participate on traveling project assignments during their employment. Depending upon the group, extensive travel may be required. It is estimated that qualified candidates will not start until 2020.
How do you succeed?
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, occupational health or related field by summer 2020
- Must be willing to relocate frequently for job assignments
- Valid / current driver's license
- Access to reliable transportation
- Right to work in the US that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or visa sponsored by a third-party employer
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and lead multiple project tasks
- Previous relevant internship experience
- Understand and work in Microsoft Office and pertinent safety related software programs
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and manage multiple project tasks
- Proven positive and professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies to team members and outside parties
- Strong teamwork orientation, initiative, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills
- Must be able to handle exposure to dirt, heat, noise, dust, and a trailer office environment
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.