Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Engineer Intern (New Construction)
at McKinstry Co.
Thank you for your interest in interning with McKinstry!
We are proud and excited to offer summer internships for 2020 across several of our different office locations and are currently seeking a Construction Project Engineer Intern to join the team as a member of our growing Oregon New Construction division in our Portland, OR location.
McKinstry is a national leader in designing, constructing, operating and maintaining high-performing buildings. From new construction and ongoing operations to adaptive reuse and energy retrofits, we provide a single point of accountability that drives waste and redundancy out of the design/build construction process. Every day our teams collaborate to innovate, create, and deliver energy-efficient and cutting-edge solutions across the entire building lifecycle, to improve systems efficiency, reduce facility operational costs, and optimize profitability for our clients. We're champions for sustainability and together, we can build a thriving planet. For more information, visit our website.
Our B.L.U.E. (Build, Learn, Understand, Enrich) summer internship program is purposefully designed to be an authentic reflection of what it means to be an integral part of McKinstry. This is achieved through our hands-on, summer-long program structured to build a foundation of industry knowledge while personal and professional growth is facilitated through collaboration, exploration, and mentorship. From weekly "lunch & learn" sessions to our 2-day all-intern event at our Seattle Headquarters, we believe in connecting our interns to various aspects of the company so they can truly evaluate potential career paths within the work we do. You can learn more about our internship program here.
What we look for in our Project Engineer Interns:
- Must be pursuing or have a degree in Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering or a related field. Sophomore student standing or higher required.
- Availability in Summer 2020 (May/June start until August/September depending on school); part-time availability after Summer preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, well organized, and possess excellent follow-up skills.
- Must be self–motivated, able to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability or aptitude to read and interpret construction plans, specs, contracts, proposals, estimates and other regularly encountered items.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio required; working knowledge of SharePoint and MS Project preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally, to and from job sites (mileage reimbursed)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
What are our Project Engineer Interns responsible for:
- Communicating with clients and project resources (subcontractors, vendors, trades) and document discussions, outcomes and decisions.
- Coordinating equipment procurement with purchasing department and vendors.
- Supporting the Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
- Working with various internal and external teams while on job-site
- Attending team management meetings.
- Communicating and coordinating with McKinstry subcontractors, including the routing of any correspondence.
- Communicating with Project Manager and Project team for daily duties.
- Maintaining drawings, daily correspondence with trades, schedules, RFI logs, submittal logs and superintendent daily reports.
- Assisting in the client and subcontractor change order process.
- Creating Requests for Information (RFI)
- Processing, reviewing, logging and distributing submittals.
- Publishing Operations and Maintenance Manuals for the client.
- Other duties as assigned
**Applications for internships will be open from through February 2020 or until filled. Interviews with selected candidates will occur throughout 2020.**
McKinstry's success isn't a matter of fate or luck. It's the natural consequence of our commitment to innovation, how we support our employees, the unique truly integrated way we deliver, the long-term relationships we forge with our clients and our unwavering commitment to creating buildings that are good to their owners, occupants, and the environment. Innovation runs on ideas, which can come from anywhere. Projects at McKinstry are not owned by individuals or departments, but by all of us, which is why it's common to see new employees from one discipline collaborating with 30-year veterans from another.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training.
McKinstry is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women professionals from all backgrounds. Our commitment is consistent with our recognition that it is the outstanding people within McKinstry who have always been the source of our strength. We recognize that promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for organizational excellence.
This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding Equal Employment Opportunity should contact their direct supervisor or the Human Resources Department without fear of retaliation of any kind.