Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Independent Living Skills/Housing Specialist
at LifeWorks Northwest
- Beaverton, OR, USA
- Full Time
- Mental Health - Bachelor's degree/Experience
The Independent Living Skills/Housing Specialist position will work at LifeWorks NW's multi-service site located in Beaverton, OR.
PURPOSE: Works with Transition Aged Youth (ages 15 to 25) experiencing severe mental illness and/or behavioral problems. Provides support for housing search and placement (apartment searching, applications, credit checks, etc), and offers support to clients with their independent living skills (budgeting, household maintenance, grocery shopping, meal preparation, etc). Provides advocacy and education within the community regarding the effect of mental illness on this age group and its impact on independence and/or stable housing. Services are offered in office, community based or home visit setting.
HOURS: This is a full-time position working daytime office hours.
RATE OF PAY: $18.81 - $20.45 per hour Full benefits
- Meets performance standards for productivity, documentation, proficiency in clinical model and evidence based practices, quality of care (including engagement and retention), and teamwork.
- Interviews individuals and, if applicable, family members or team members in the client support system to assess housing needs and independent living goals and identify clients' skills and strengths, interests, dreams, aspirations and resources available to reach their goals.
- Counsels individuals to help them understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral problems affecting their housing or living environments/situations.
- Researches possible housing openings for clients by contacting property, housing services, newspaper want ads, previous contacts, cold calling, and any other means of reaching potential housing opportunities.
- Assist client with applications for subsidized housing (Section 8 vouchers, etc).
- Perform analysis of independent living capabilities and any barriers to securing rental properties.
- Establishes and maintains connections with agencies or properties offering low rent and/or affordable housing opportunities.
- Sets up interviews with clients, assist clients with applications, and interviewing skills.
- Locates barriers to housing, such as credit problems, criminal history, lack of rental history, or past evictions. Works with clients to develop strategies for overcoming barriers.
- Assist with move-in (establishing phone/utility services, etc) and accessing community resources when needed to furnish an apartment. Maintains close contact with clients while living independently to resolve problems and evaluate placement adequacy.
- Participate in Rent Well Instructor Certification and once certified teach (or co-teach) the 12 week curriculum to appropriate clients.
- Participate in local/regional community meetings with other providers to collaborate on independent living and housing needs for youth and young adults
- Performs interventions as needed with assigned clients previously placed who may be at risk of losing their homes. Work closely with landlords/property managers and clients to resolve issues as soon as possible.
- Works with LifeWorks NW billing/accounting department to submit check requests and flexible funding documentation to facilitate rental subsidies. Record and track payments made on behalf of all clients and properties.
- In consultation with the treatment team, generate supported housing agreements with clients to outline expectations of receiving supported housing subsidies.
- Coordinates and consults with other team members to keep team informed of issues and progress.
- Counsels individuals, groups, families, or communities regarding independent living issues.
- Provides crisis intervention to clients when difficult situations occur
- Ensures timely record maintenance of authorizations for purchase, billings, completed and releases of informationMaintains client records in compliance with agency and confidentiality guidelines. Completes documentation in an electronic health records system within 24 hours of the date of service.
- Serves as back-up for other staff when needed included Clinician/Team member of the day responsibilities.
- Continually increases level of cultural sensitivity, awareness and competency.
- Required to transport clients in a personal vehicle vehicle.
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work or a mental health related field OR a minimum of 3 years of prior experience with the related population in the counseling field (QMHA) required.
- Requires access to a car, a valid driver's license, proof of current automobile insurance coverage and ability to meet LifeWorks NW driving requirements.
- Prefer one additional year of experience in the behavioral health field working with people with disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively; understand mental health assessment, treatment and service terminology; program policies and procedures for services and supports identified in an Individual Services and Supports Plan.
- Demonstrated ability to provide culturally-competent treatment services to diverse client populations and maintain a cooperative working relationship with others in a culturally diverse environment.
- Knowledge of community resources enabling appropriate referrals for specific client needs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word. Ability to master proprietary software including electronic health record system required.
NOTE: Soon, all QMHA positions in the state of Oregon will need to be filled by candidates who are officially QMHA certified. For details, go directly to MHACBO.
JOB CODE/NUMBER: INDEPENDENT LIVING SKILLS,HOUSING SPC TAY/1160281
LifeWorks NW believes that diversity strengthens our workforce and empowers our community.
LifeWorks NW is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status in accordance with law.
Drug Free/Tobacco Free Site 01/09