Lane Education Service District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sign Language Interpreter
at Lane Education Service District
Serves as a member of the educational team along with Teachers of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) and is available to address communication accessibility and deaf cultural issues as they arise. The position also provides re-teaching and other academic and classroom support.
Primary qualifications for this position include:
- Associate’s Degree from an Interpreter Education Program; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL), Contact Variety and English as demonstrated by Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) at level 3.5 or above; RID NIC, CI or CT Certification may be considered as an alternative to EIPA score.
- Proficiency in comprehension and expression of American Sign Language, Contact Variety, and Manual Coded English.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skill in both English and Sign Language.
- Ability to adjust communication to meet language and developmental level of assigned students to facilitate comprehension.
- Knowledge of instructional supports for students who are deaf and hard of hearing.
- Ability to understand and interpret curriculum from Kindergarten to Advanced placement classes such as Science and Math and Foreign Language.
- Experience providing supplemental instruction under the direction of a licensed teacher.
- Ability to support social and communication skills development appropriate for participation in mainstream hearing environments.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with an educational team.
- Well-developed manual and facial dexterity necessary to produced readable sign language and sign language expression is required.
- Visual and hearing acuity necessary to provide effective interpretation in a variety of educational environments is required.
- Basic proficiency in the use of technology necessary to perform job functions, including internet, email, calendaring software and word processing and the ability to learn district specific software.
- Ability to fluently speak, read, and write required.
- A valid Oregon driver's license or ability to obtain one by date of hire is required.
- Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide accurate interpretation appropriate to the student’s age, register, personality, affect, learning style and language competencies.
- For students in all academic situations including classrooms, library, assemblies, and field trips.
- For students in school locations such as health center, counseling center, and administration.
- For students during extracurricular activities such as sports, drama, music, clubs and school-wide programs.
- Consult with classroom teacher regarding, curriculum content, general goals, new vocabulary or materials presented.
- Gather information necessary to effectively interpret special school activities and extra-curricular events such as theater arts, music, storytelling, poetry, field trips and assemblies.
- Consider accessibility of instructional plans and educational environment to support effective interpreting while teaming with classroom teacher.
- Roles, responsibilities, and boundaries of educational interpreters
- Technical needs of interpreting, i.e., lighting, visual aids, positioning, and the challenges related to interpreting between languages.
- Teach sign language to assigned students,
- Serve as language role model and facilitate acquisition and expansion of both sign language and English.
- Facilitate communication and socialization between Deaf/Hard of Hearing students and hearing peers.
- Provide updates on progress or issues encountered.
Job Contact Information
Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:00 AM -
Sunday, October 20, 2019 5:00 PM
(Pacific Standard Time)