Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Electrical Engineering, Electro-Optical Imaging, FPGA
at FLIR Systems
At FLIR, we have a simple but ambitious mission: to develop market-leading thermal and sensing technologies which enhance everyday life. From saving energy, to saving lives FLIR is making a real difference in our world.
Our products are used in a wide array of situations to rescue people in danger, detect criminals, conserve energy, navigate safely, provide security around the globe, and protect our environment.
We are looking for individuals who thrive on making an impact and want the excitement of being on a team that wins.
Responsible for leading an Integrated Product Team in the development of new products significant technical challenge and revenue impact to the company. Products are highly complex electro-optical imaging systems, with development budgets of up to $10 million or more, and revenue forecasts in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Responsible and accountable for cost, schedule and performance, and all other tasks necessary to make the project a success. Directly manages and leads a diverse team of hardware and firmware design engineers and provides coordination with other functional departments of the company.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs teams and individuals teams in the performance of detailed design activities, including but not limited to: developing electrical system architecture, developing printed circuit board (PCB) hardware, interface specifications, coding, schematic capture, digital logic design, algorithm analysis, simulation, real time performance profiling, subsystem testing, design verification, preparing for and conducting design reviews, and product qualification. Leads the system integration effort. Monitors Quantity Assurance activity, working with cross-functional team and within established processes to determine what issues will and will not be addressed before product release. Leads the cross-functional team including Manufacturing, Procurement, Service and others to ensure Design for Manufacturability and product reliability requirements are met, material is available on time, and Manufacturing Engineering is addressing tooling, fixturing, process and procedure requirements in a timely manner.
- Provides leadership to the organization in developing and improving New Product Introduction and product documentation/validation/qualification processes and procedures.
- Leads the design team in the high-level system architecture and high-level module design of the product. Ensures system architecture and high-level design specifications are properly developed in support of functional requirements, and proper flow-down and documentation of design requirements to all functional and physical elements.
- Provides key leadership (working with Product Marketing as the final authority) in determining the feature set of new products of significant technical complexity. Judges new product ideas based on cost, schedule, technical feasibility and scope of existing projects and resources. Provides input to the product line strategy beyond the scope of an individual project.
- Negotiates with company management to build an Integrated Product Team (consisting of design engineers and members of other functional departments). Allocates resources within the project team, partitions tasks, develops task estimates, and makes assignments. Produces and maintains the project plan and executes to the plan.
- Generates, maintains and is ultimately responsible for all project documentation. Develops project and departmental budgets and is ultimately responsible for project and product cost and on-time availability.
- Mentors members of the project team; reviews their work. Performs personnel management duties, writes performance reviews and development plans, arranges for training and provides effective goal setting and feedback.
- Expands technical and managerial knowledge through continuing education. Reads industry publications, attends classes, seminars, trade shows and company meetings.
- Communicates on project and product issues to key customers and partners. Represents the company’s interests in the technical community, may help develop industry-wide standards and may represent the company on standards committees.
- All levels of Design, Staff, and Regulatory Engineers.
- These are the attributes that lead to job success; not essential to possess all before hire; indicate depth and breadth.
- Communication: direct and concise. Keeps people informed. Listens effectively to others.
- Teamwork: facilitates a team-oriented environment, provides technical leadership in all team situations.
- Initiative/Results Orientation originates action. Finds ways to get things done. Creates optimal solutions to challenging problems.
- Quality: promotes continuous improvements in product quality, product development processes, design processes and methodologies and the company’s technical competence.
- Customer Responsiveness: understands and responds well to internal or external customer needs.
- Strategic Thinking: sees broader implications; judges’ particular events in context of the whole. Understands the company’s strategy.
- Technical Competence: respected inside the company for a reasonable level of technical knowledge, and more so for capabilities as a project manager.
- Flexibility: quickly adapts to changes in situations or assignments.
- Leading Others: conveys enthusiasm and sense of importance; gives credit and recognition and provides encouragement. Effectively elicits suggestions and cooperation from others. Ensures performance issues receive close monitoring and prompt attention. Ensures people get learning opportunities; gives feedback.
- Willingness to Learn: possesses an innate curiosity about technology; pro-actively continues the lifelong process of learning about new and evolving technologies.
BS Engineering, electrical, or EMI experience preferred
- Typically requires an engineering or scientific educational background, engineering design experience, and eight or more years of project leadership experience at the highest level of job performance. Must have significant accomplishments as a leader of diverse engineering teams utilizing leading-edge technology. Should have personnel management experience and have been the manager for a new product introduction of significant scope, technical complexity and revenue impact.
FLIR and all of our employees are committed to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We require all employees to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and regulatory orders. Our reputation for honesty, integrity and high ethics is as important to us as our reputation for making innovative sensing solutions.
FLIR is an equal opportunity employer.
FLIR Systems, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, markets, and distributes technologies that enhance perception and awareness. We bring innovative sensing solutions into daily life through our thermal imaging systems, visible-light imaging systems, locator systems, measurement and diagnostic systems, and advanced threat detection systems.
FLIR Systems offers a fast-paced, dynamic environment that provides for a challenging career and the ability to achieve professional growth. It is the talent of our employees that sets us apart as the technology and market leader in the infrared community.