DNV GL Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at DNV GL Group
- Requisition ID
- Business Area
- Position Type
- Permanent employment
Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL - Energy is seeking an Energy Analyst to join an extraordinary team as we use energy data, innovative analytic methods, and collaborative, outside-of-the-box collaboration design and evaluate the next generation of distributed energy resources and demand-side management solutions. Specifically, our team is looking to hire an Energy Analyst to use research and analytics to understand the impacts and optimize the strategies of utility-scale energy efficiency, demand response, and distributed energy resource programs. This role will involve strategic problem solving by synthesizing your skills in analytics, programming, data visualization, and awareness of industry-relevant topics, to develop on-point analyses, reports, and presentations. The ideal candidate for this role will be able to think critically through a problem statement, create and execute a concise analysis plan, and collaborate proactively, dynamically, and efficiently across a variety of project team.
This position is based out of our Portland, OR; OR Oakland, CA office.
Tasks May Include
- Dynamically apply robust analytic methodologies and innovative coding techniques with energy policy and program design and evaluation contexts. Emerging topical trends include: energy electrification, resilience, equity, and creating alignment between forecasted energy demand to forecasted renewable energy supply.
- Design and code original analyses that quantify the achieved impacts, forecast potential impacts, and estimate cost-effectiveness of utility-scale energy efficiency, demand response, and distributed energy resources programs
- Quantify the effectiveness of treatments within programs that leverage RCT experimental designs
- Support DNV GL’s digital transformation: review, revise, and improve pre-existing SAS, R, and Python code. Identify, recommend, and implement emerging analytic methods such as deep neural network and random forest machine learning models, etc.
- Utilize parallelized programming (Spark and/or Databricks experience a plus) for batch processing across large datasets
- Perform a variety of quality control checks to ensure the accuracy and defensibility of the analysis
- Interpret the results of data analyses to produce concise, meaningful conclusions and recommendations for client-facing reports and professional papers
- Maintain existing programmed analyses; identify enhancements; track and promote usage across company
- Develop and maintain products that deliver data visualizations/reports to enable users to grasp concepts, identify patterns, and make better business decisions
- Project/Task Management
- Support project plan development and manage tasks and/or projects (including client interactions)
- By understanding and following the energy efficiency and renewable energy markets and regulatory ecosystems, develop, improve, and advance repeatable analytic offerings
- Work with internal staff and subcontractors to meet project objectives
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting workload; managing allocated task budgets; analyzing variances; and initiating corrective actions where necessary
- Interview business stakeholders to identify focus of research and expected project outcome (scope, background, business case, etc.)
- Behavior and Communication
- Communicate proactively and effectively with staff all levels to find information, learn new skills, troubleshoot problems, and address complex issues
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Contribute meaningfully to team efforts to achieve group and company goals while providing insight, enthusiasm, and support
- Act as a role model for other staff through your leadership, mentorship, and sharing of knowledge and skills
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times, including in written and verbal communications
- Represent DNV GL at industry conferences and events, including after-hours activities
Note: Please submit a 1-page cover letter along with your resume when applying. In your cover letter, please tell us about your experience with research and programming, including the languages with which you are proficient. What types of research methods have you used? Describe a research project in which you have participated and BRIEFLY describe your role, research approach, and results.
- Master’s degree in economics, statistics, engineering, computer science, psychology, sociology, public policy or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience performing data analytics
- Prior experience using MS Office – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and aptitude for “connecting the dots” among different topics and/or sources of information
- An organized, detail-oriented approach and the ability to work independently
- Ability to take direction from multiple people and perform varied tasks
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple deliverables, and remaining flexible
- Most importantly, this individual should display a positive, team-oriented attitude to match our friendly work environment
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
- R and/or Python proficiency
- Experience with SQL database development, including analysis and design
- Econometric modeling and time series forecasting experience
- Experience in experimental design and A/B testing
- Energy efficiency, demand response, or distributed energy resources experience
- Data Visualization Tools/Languages: Tableau, Power BI, D3.js
- Parallelized Analytics including Spark or Hadoop
- Familiarity with various ETL tools – for transforming different sources of data into analytics data stores.
- Experience with programing languages such as Java, .Net, and C#
- Experience maintaining large scale on premise and SaaS solutions
- Scaling and performance tuning
**Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are not available for this position**
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.