City of Medford
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pool and Spray Park Laborer
at City of Medford
The City of Medford has an exciting opportunity! We are looking for an individual for the swimming pool and spray parks to work full-time May through September. General knowledge of the operation of pool systems and pool chemical testing. General knowledge of building maintenance and plumbing is preferred. Position will work Saturday through Monday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Tuesday and Wednesday 10:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Occasionally there will be special events that will require working modified hours.
- Paid sick leave
- 24 hour fitness center
Medford is one of the most beautiful areas of the Pacific Northwest and is located in Jackson County, Oregon. Situated in the heart of the scenic Rogue Valley, Medford, population 81,000, is the hub of Oregon's fourth-largest metropolitan area. Located along I-5 in southern Oregon, just 20 miles from the California border, Medford is surrounded by breathtaking mountains in a region featuring world-class outdoor recreation opportunities, including Crater Lake National Park and the Oregon Coast. As the largest city between Eugene and Sacramento, Medford is a growing city with a high quality of life, a growing economy and a moderate climate.
**Hiring will be subject to a favorable criminal history background check and driving record. Must be able to pass a physical and functional exam and drug screen.
- Typical Job Duties
- Pre-season preparation of swimming pools, fountains and spray parks.
- Assuring pools and spray parks are operational on weekends.
- Assisting Building Utility Technicians on swimming pool, fountain and spray park operation and repair; as well as general building maintenance repairs; and working out of the department maintenance shop on special projects.
- Restoring the correct water levels and chemical balance for pools and spray parks.
- Maintaining and repairing pool equipment, including filters, pumps, chlorinators and heaters.
- Ensuring equipment such as diving boards are in good condition.
- Reporting major equipment faults to supervisor.
- Maintaining records of swimming pool supplies, such as cleaning chemicals.
- Good attention to detail. Able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Good customer-service skills.
- Manual dexterity to lift swimming pool equipment.
- Good teamwork skills.
- Ability to enjoy outdoor and practical work.
- Job Qualifications
- Graduation from high school and/or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of basic building operation, repairs, equipment used, and cleaning buildings preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years old by date of hire.
- Requires possession of a valid driver's license by date of hire. New employees establishing resident status in the State of Oregon must obtain an Oregon driver's license within 30 days (ORS 807.020 (1)).
- Acceptable driving record.
- Able to lift 50-75 pounds.
- Ability and desire to learn aquatic systems and chemical testing procedures associated with pool and spray park systems.
- Ability to work variety of shifts to include nights and weekends.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate back-pack leaf blowers and pool vacuum equipment.
- Perform physical labor safely in all types of local weather.
- Relate to the general public in a positive manner.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Heavy Work: Exerting or lifting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force or lifting frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force or lifting constantly to move objects.
Incumbents may be exposed to: moving mechanical parts, electrical components and/or equipment, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, work space restrictions, intense noises and travel. Employee will be provided with required safety training and personal protective equipment (PPE) for working in these environments.
- Supplemental Information
- To Apply: City of Medford employment application must be completed via the City's website www.cityofmedford.org. Position is open until filled. The City of Medford complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you consider yourself disabled and require assistance in the application process, please contact Human Resources by telephone: (541) 774-2010 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection Process: Applications will be reviewed by the Facilities Management Division. Candidates most closely meeting the City's needs will be referred for interview with final appointment by the City Manager. Selected candidates must provide proof of legal right to work in this country. Selection procedures and time lines are subject to change. Hiring will be subject to acceptable driving record and criminal history background check. Must be able to pass a physical and functional exam and drug screen.